Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Kindled by their love!

I forgot to mention my best Christmas present! Blair, Marquel and Bill got me a Kindle e-reader loaded with the Catholic Bible, The Help and To Kill A Mockingbird (not the book but an analysis, as they said the book wasn't available) to start.


I marvel at how thin and light weight it is. I am really looking forward to spending time in Bible study with my Kindle and reading more. I also wanted to have a Kindle before I sign up to have my novel "Marquel" available on e-book platforms.


In a few weeks I will head to NYC for a writer's conference. I hope learn more about the state of the book publishing. I was watching CBS's Sunday Morning program about an award-winning book jacket artist who felt he had about 5 to 10 more years before the reading public moved to more electronic readers.

Isn't that really the fun of book shopping? Reviewing the cover and then flipping the book over to read the synopsis. And then I thought about my own cover art and how well it communicates the story in a simple picture. I was told an artist in Shanghai had developed the cover and I could use it or supply my own. A graphic artist friend had also worked up a cover for me and I had paid her for the work, but I was mesmerized by how well this artist a world away had captured my novel's essence. I asked my publisher for the artist's name and email, as I wanted to thank him or her, but it was never supplied.

Anyway, I realize that promotion and sales are the true purpose of what might have been considered a dust jacket's protective function, but a great cover can also "kindle" emotion and enhance the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment